Saturday 17 December 2011

Stupid mouse...

We've had a minor mouse problem the last year or so.  I've only seen four.  Of those the cat got one (good Sera!), one was dead in a trap, one got away, and the other was just dead on the floor in my tool room (probably due to an act of cat - the bugger probably suffered severe injury then slipped under the door to spend his last few moments in relative peace).

There are only four other pieces of evidence.  The first is obvious.  One ran across the back of the stove while I was cooking, really, standing there over the frying pan, cooking.  Cheeky little bastard.  He's the one who got away (aforementioned).

One cabinet has had to be cleaned out (just one!) but there was no mouse in sight.

Next was the dead mouse in the middle of the floor.

The last is the obnoxious one.  For some reason, these mice seem to like chewing on (and through) one particular hose (just the one), resulting in a leaky dishwasher.  THREE BLOODY TIMES!  The first I never saw (that I know of) got caught in the trap dead.  The next got caught in a trap while I was in the living room, but didn't die.  I pulled open the plate at the front of the dishwasher and there the little bastard is, alive, and twitching his whiskers at me.  I don't know if he was caught in the trap or just panicked, but he bolted.  Enter Sera.  Good kitty!

I plugged every hole in the kitchen, foam, aluminum foil, steel wool, all buttoned up tight.  As far as I know, the only place a mouse can get under the dishwasher is right across the floor (here, kitty, kitty).

But last night, once again, the dishwasher is leaking - same place.  I have to pull it out to be sure, but I'm afraid of what I'll find.  Hopefully it's just a leaky fitting, but I doubt it.  The repair guy is getting expensive, but after watching a few times I can fix it now, if I can buy the part somewhere.

This time I think I'll wrap the hose in aluminum foil then duct tape it tight.  Get right to the source.  Hopefully the little buggers won't decide to eat something else instead, but if it works, it will at least be a small victory.  And I'll set the traps again, since plugging the holes hasn't worked.

So help me, I will be victorious!

Maybe if the cats help.

No comments:

Post a Comment