Tuesday 26 June 2012

What to do in California AFTER Disneyland?

I'm going to speak at the ICONE 2012 conference at Disneyland in the first week of August, and the family is coming along (two reasons: a) I want them there, b) I'd never be forgiven by my daughter otherwise).
Because of the conference I won't spend as much time in the parks as the girls in the first few days, but we'll stay at Disney another day or two after that so I can see the parks in the actual daytime instead of in the evening.

After Disneyland, we're tagging on another week purely for vacation. Darling wife wants my help - that spells doom, but she posted a list on her blog, and here is my response:

San Diego's world famous zoo - heck, yes.
Seaworld - meh. If DD gets to swim with dolphins, sure, but otherwise, just meh.
Legoland - what nerd could say no? I spent most of my waking childhood building LEGO (precisely to the instructions, and never, NEVER taking it apart ever again - obsessive from the beginning to the end, I'm afraid) - but Legoland is a go for me, although there is some doubt whether it will appeal to DD - thoughts?
Santa Monica pier - the Pacific Ocean is a must  - I've been in it once before (darling wife never has). I'm not a beach person, but maybe half a day just to hit the water.
The Aquarium of the Pacific - never heard of it - just another aquarium to me. Hence "meh".
Venice Beach - muscle bound morons? Maybe, but only if we have time for a laugh without taking away from anything else.
Malibu and Long Beach. - I think I prefer either of these to Venice Beach, actually.
Los Angeles and Hollywood - I think my wife needs to be more specific on this - these are big places, but I do want to get to see the sign.
Universal Studios, Magic Mountain and Knott's Berry Farm - yes to all, pretty much in the order they appear.
Movie Star Home tours (B O R I N G) - Wife called it right - "cheesy".
Grauman's Chinese Theatre or the Walk of Fame - Wife called these cheesy too! I consider these to be among THE most vital parts of the experience if we are headed Hollywood way! These are a must do!

SO, she asked for my help, this is the best I can do, unless there is someone out there who can offer the benefit of their own experiences...

No comments:

Post a Comment